Hi! I'm Sam! And I'm a Journal-Hoarder!
I'm 32 years old and I live with my adoring husband Alex and our two cats! Things aren't so easy-but God is greater! I want to use this blog to share my experiences with you and hopefully grow further in my walk with Jesus Christ. I also want to help people feel more comfortable about being authentic and even vulnerable in their writing.
Yes, I'm a journal hoarder. And by that, I mean that I have tons and tons of cute little journals with inspirational sayings on them that I've started, but never finished. While some may find that quirky, I'm making it my mission to write more and actually finish what I start!
Have you ever had trouble keeping a journal? Have you ever felt that if you started a journal, you might not finish it? Too scared to write what you're really feeling? I have too.
In fact, I have had the traumatic experience of my mother actually reading my journal......which was composed of all the boys I liked in college and my list of the "ideal boyfriend." (insert cringing noise here)
I think it's easy to get shy or protective about our writing. It's even easy to get distracted by life or to put it aside because we think we have more important things to do. But at the end of the day, we can't keep all of those feelings and thoughts inside of us.
Our society tells us that our feelings are not as important as our performance. I want to change that mentality. I want for people to know that God cares more about our hearts than just what we can do for him.
Let me assure you, that it is a proven fact that journaling can actually help refocus your thinking. For those of you (me included) who suffer with depression and anxiety, this can be a game-changer!
So feel free to leave an honest comment about how you cope with life! Do you write things out? Do you surrender your issues in journal-form? I'd love to know more about you!
Hi Sam. I don’t journal and never have. Growing up I did have a diary. Two times it was read by my sister and grandmother who later used it to make fun of me. After that I never had one again. Like you said sometimes I felt that I would be too raw with my emotions. I’ve also had that mentality of why wrote when I can just talk to God about it. So usually I Speak about things that bother me in that moment. Sometimes I can bottle my feelings up in fear of hurting someone. That’s not healthy and it’s not something I enjoy doing because then I’m a wreck afterwards. I think journaling is an awesome idea and would love to get one and put aside some time for me during the day and write.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this!
ABurr
I'm sorry you had those experiences. I know I was mortified when my mom read my journal, but I forgave her for that. She was only trying to "figure me out." Out of that experience, I learned that I needed to be more open with her. I think you said it-it's not healthy to bottle up emotions. They need to be expressed. I hope you enjoy journaling as an adult, now. It really is a good thing and I know you will start to be able to express those feelings more easily. When they are concrete and on paper-you can analyze them and get a better understanding of yourself and where you're at. You can also look back and see how you've grown! I love journaling!!!
DeleteJournals are awesome...I don't write often but have continually done so. Maybe it comes with age but I don't care so much if anyone reads my journals. Maybe after I'm gone from this world someone will publish it. It is life..the good, the bad and the ugly :-) You go girl! So proud of you.
ReplyDeleteYou're right- it really doesn't matter who reads them. I'm actually glad my mom read them because we ended up having good conversations over them. Thank you so much!!!
Delete